ALTRAC Type PD - Personal Radon Measurement for Occupational Radiation Protectio
All advantages at a glance:
- Compliance with the Radiation Protection Act at the workplace.
- Inclusive measuring instructions and plan for working time recording
- Inclusive laboratory evaluation
- Suitable for outdoor measurements
- State-tested & recognised measuring point
Legal reference: §§ 126 - 132 Radiation Protection Act (StrlSchG) and §§ 155 - 158 Radiation Protection Ordinance (StrlSchV)
According to the StrlSchG, a workplace is defined as a place where a worker regularly or repeatedly spends time during the course of his or her work. Anyone who is responsible for a workplace in the ground floor or basement of a building in radon precautionary areas must carry out and complete measurements of the radon activity concentration within 18 months of the announcement of these areas. The prescribed measurement period is 12 months and must be carried out by a body recognised in accordance with §155 StrlSchV using suitable measuring equipment. The obligation to carry out these radon measurements also extends to rooms in rented businesses. This essentially includes all office and recreation rooms on the ground floor and basement of buildings. In addition, there are rooms in which, for example, caretakers, technicians, cleaning staff, canteen staff and other employees spend time. Heating rooms and server rooms do not count as workplaces according to the Radiation Protection Ordinance.
According to Annex 8 of the Radiation Protection Act (StrlSchG), employers are obliged to assess the radiation exposure of employees in "workplaces with increased exposure to radon". This must be done over a period of 12 months. This also applies to workplaces outside of radon suspect areas. These fields of work include workplaces in:
- underground mines, shafts and caves, including visitor mines,
- radon spas and radon healing galleries,
- water extraction, treatment and distribution plants.
Personal exposure to radon shall be determined by means of a personal dosimeter to be worn on the body by the worker during working hours and the reference dosimeter.
- Wear the personal dosimeter PD with the clip on the work clothing. The daily wearing times are noted in the table on the working time recording plan provided.
- Place the reference exposimeter PRD where the PD is kept outside working hours, e.g. changing room, office, motor vehicle, etc.
A personal dosimeter PD can cover a measurement period of max. 6 months. For longer measurements, another gap-free subsequent measurement must be connected. Country-specific requirements for partial measurements must be observed.
When starting a further partial measurement, the reference exposimeter must also be exchanged.
Determination of requirements: Scenarios
If personal radon measurements have to be carried out for several employees, it is sufficient to order the set including the reference exposimeter PRD once and to equip all other persons with a dosimeter PD.
Prerequisite: all PD dosimeters are kept in the same place (e.g. locker room) after work.
It is important that the personal PDs are not mixed up among the employees.
If the personal dosimeters PD are kept at different locations (e.g. locker room and car) after work, each reference location must be equipped with its own reference exposimeter.
If an annual measurement is divided into two 6-monthly partial measurements, for example, not only the personal dosimeter PD must be replaced, but also the reference exposimeter PRD.
Our recommendation: If partial measurements are necessary, order the personal dosimeters and reference exposimeters needed for the other measurements at the same time to ensure a seamless transition between the partial measurements. Store the measuring equipment that is not yet needed in a place that is as radon-free as possible.
Note on evaluation
- Send both the personal dosimeter PD and the reference exposimeter PRD in their radon-proof original packaging including the measurement protocol directly to the ALTRAC test laboratory.
- For organisational reasons, you will not receive a confirmation of receipt from the testing laboratory.
- The evaluation time of the measuring bodies can take 3 to 4 weeks, depending on the volume.
- All measuring equipment is stored in a cool and radon-safe place until evaluation, so that your measurement results are not falsified.
- Your results report including a recommendation based on your measurement data will be sent to the email address you provided when placing your order.
Scope of delivery
- 1 x Personal dosimeter PD
- 1 x clip
- 1 x Reference exposimeter PRD
- Plan for recording working hours
- Measurement protocol
- Laboratory evaluation as well as test report from the accredited radon test laboratory ALTRAC
- 1 x personal dosimeter PD
- 1 x clip
- Schedule for recording working hours
- Measurement protocol
- Laboratory evaluation as well as test report from the accredited radon testing laboratory ALTRAC
There are no reviews yet.